This is amongst our favourite tours because it features pure wilderness in one of the world’s deepest, and arguably most beautiful canyons – the canyon of Tara River. The canoeing takes place down Tara’s numerous rapids and its crystal clear waters. The first night is spent camping in the beautiful Camp Grab, on the river bank. The two nights spent in the canyon are wild camping on the sandy river banks, on which, often, nobody has camped before.
- Pure wilderness in one of the world’s most beautiful canyons
- Entirely self-supported trip
- Excitement-filled canoeing through Europe’s deepest canyon
- Wild camping on amazing sandy river beaches
- Opportunity to see big game wildlife
- One night camping in a beautiful camp on the river
- Day 1: Meeting in Camp Grab and overnight camping.
- Day 2: Transport from Camp Grab to the canyon, followed by three-hour canoeing to the first wild camping spot and relaxing for the rest of the day.
- Day 3: Three-hour canoeing to the second wild camping spot and relaxing/swimming/exploring for the rest of the day.
- Day 4: A morning swim followed by a three-hour canoeing trip back to Camp Grab. Afternoon departure.
Our meeting point is Camp Grab, on the river near the Bosnian border. Depending on where you land, Camp Grab is approximately a 3 hour drive from Podgorica or a 4 hour drive from Tivat. Overnight stay at the camp is in a tent, with showers, toilets, electricity, restaurant and bar facilities available. A traditional cooked dinner served at the restaurant is included on the first night’s stay.
In the morning, we will make our way to our adventure’s starting point near Žabljak. The canoeing will take you on a three-day, self-supported tour (meaning we take all our provisions with us) through the deepest canyon in Europe, along one of the most beautiful rivers in the world. On the first day, there is a three hour-paddle to the wild camping beach where we will set up camp and relax for the rest of the day.
Wild camping in the canyon provides access to the remotest and least frequented sections of the river and the kanyon with an epic backdrop and breathtaking views. These areas feature untouched wilderness and on most trips we sight big game wildlife, including the chamois, deer, or if extremely lucky, wolves or bears.
We will depart in the morning for a 3-hour canoe journey to the second wild camping location where we will set up camp and relax/swim/explore for the rest of the day. Don’t worry, we make regular stops during the canoe journey for you to stretch your legs and enjoy some waterfalls.
We will pack up the camp in the morning and set off on a 3-hour canoeing trip to camp Grab, our final stop along the river. We generally arrive in the early afternoon, giving you enough time to depart and reach your next destination in the evening.
If you are staying longer in Montenegro you can always join us on another adventure 😊
- A fully guided canoeing adventure
- National park permits
- Experienced bilingual local guide/s
- 3 nights’ camping
- Food – dinner at Camp Grab, 3 breakfasts, 2 dinners in the canyon and paddling snacks on the go for lunch each day